Anthony Gordon hasn’t played for Newcastle United since the middle of April.
Gordon hasn’t featured in any of the Magpies’ last five matches, missing AFC Bournemouth and Arsenal through injury before returning and being left on the bench against Brighton & Hove Albion, Nottingham Forest and West Ham United
Howe admitted recently to picking his team with “partial view to the future” when asked about Gordon’s omission and has also said previously he wouldn’t select players that he feels aren’t 100% committed to the club.
The Gazette has launched a WhatsApp NUFC channel to bring the latest news, analysis and team & injury updates directly to your phone. Simply click this link to join our NUFC WhatsApp channel.
Gordon’s representatives were pictured in Barcelona earlier this month but it is Bayern Munich that are leading the chase, with reports in Germany suggesting the 25-year-old has already agreed personal terms over a five-year contract.
The Bundesliga champions have made contact with Newcastle but remain some way apart when it comes to a transfer fee.
‘No guarantees’ Anthony Gordon leaves Newcastle United
Gordon cut an isolated figure during the post-match lap of honour after the Magpies’ final home match of the season against West Ham last weekend, further fuelling speculation over his future.
Newcastle travel to Fulham on the final day of the season on Sunday and Howe couldn’t say whether Gordon had indeed played his last game for the club.
“That’s a difficult one for me to comment on in terms of how he should be remembered because that’s us almost saying that he is going, and there’s no guarantee,” Howe said. “We don’t know at this moment whether it will be his last game.
“Obviously, I’ve picked a team, as I’ve said many times in the last few weeks, that’s been performing well. Anthony has come back from injury. He’s been great around the group. He’s been absolutely part of the team, so, there’s been no issues.
“Let’s see what happens. I think the right time to give an answer to that question will be if he does leave. And then I’ll obviously discuss that with him.”
Following the match at Craven Cottage, Howe is due to link with England after being named in their World Cup squad alongside club teammates Dan Burn and Tino Livramento.
At this stage, it is unclear whether Gordon’s resolved before or after the tournament in the North America.